Listen to ahansen6s playlist

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"What was your WIN today?"
A little while ago I started living day by day with the saying in my head, "what was your win today?" Trent came home from a seminar he had attended for his job and he was so excited about the speaker that he talked all night about him. This guy was in a water skiing accident (crashed into the shore I think) when he was in high school and became a quadriplegic. While he was in the rehabilitation facility his football coach came to visit him every day. When he would come he would be hanging upside down (I am not sure why, something to do with his recovery) and his coach would come in and ask him, "what was your win today?" Here he was a paralyzed teenager, sad and depressed about the situation and without fail every single day coach would come and ask him this. Finally one day he got really mad and said, "well, I didn't wet my pants today." The coach got excited and shouted down the hall, "he didn't wet his pants today!!!" And congratulated him on the win. From then on he lived his life around what was his win for the day and didn't let his situation get him down. So I have been thinking about this lately. As a mom of 3 boys under 6 you don't often feel like you have had a "win" today. When you look around at all the messy rooms and all the things left undone it doesn't really feel like you are winning. So I think about it at the end of the night, "what was my win today." Sometimes it is just getting all the laundry done that day or one bathroom cleaned. But, every night I realize, my kids are bathed, fed and safe so I have those wins every day. The days that I get extra wins are even better.
Two weeks ago was a huge win. I was in charge of Activity Days and I wanted to do something big. So I decided that I was going to make each of the girls journal jars and they were going to cover and decorate journals. So that Wednesday I got 12 of these jars done in one afternoon. This was HUGE. I don't usually get this big of a project done in one day. Then on Thursday I went all excited to Activity Days and...I only had 5 girls :( But, they had a lot of fun and loved covering the journals. We had a little pow wow in the bathroom the other day at church and they told me that they had written in their journals every day since they got them. Yay, another WIN!! I am planning on a make-up day in July so that the other girls can all get their jars.



3 comments:

Leanne said...

Those are sooo cute and Marci loves hers. Thanks so much for being such a good activity day leader!

Tera said...

Thanks for the insight. I often forget what me win was for the day.

Karen said...

You actually get your kids bathed every day? That is amazing! I try to get the oldest to take a shower every day, but she fights me on it so much I don't always push it.

So after you left my house the other day, I took a look around and was so embarrassed! I had been out for most of the day and just stopped home long enough to let stuff accumulate! Oh well, your win for that day was, "I don't let my house look like that!" :)