Listen to ahansen6s playlist

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My "Molly" Moment

Molly Mormon: definition-Molly Mormon is a term for the popular stereotype of a female member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). A Molly Mormon is thought to be the "perfect Mormon woman"

Now I have never claimed to be a Molly, and in my life there really haven't been many moments. Therefore, I had to put my 2 moments in life on record.

Last fall apples went on sale for $.49 a lb. I bought about 35 lbs. of apples and started a big project. I ended up making cinnamon apples in the crock pot (thank you thrifty mom) and freezing them, dried apples in the oven, and canning applesauce and pie filling. I had been saving for a long time for a canner so I went down to Wal-Mart, bought everything I needed and got going. This was definitely crazy to do my first big canning project by myself. Not only did I have just an inkling of an idea of what I was doing, but I bought a canner that is too small to can the large jars in. The rebel in me did it anyway and let it boil over and leak a bit on my floor and they turned out just fine. I was calling my friend Shannon ALL day and bothering her because she had just finished doing all this up in Idaho, the land of the true MOLLY.
The applesauce and the cinnamon apples came out great, the pie filling not so much. I knew immediately when I pulled them out of the canner that I hadn't put in nearly enough apples. A learning experience for next time.
After this first experience I decided to try my hand at canning meat, yes that is a roast on the end in the picture. Looks disgusting I know. However, it cooks the roast and you are able to store it for food storage for your protein. We open them up on Sundays sometimes, shred it, warm it in skillet with BBQ sauce, onions and apricot preserves and have BBQ beef sandwiches. It takes about 15 minutes which is great when you are starving in the afternoon after church.

If you have been wanting to can and haven't started because you don't know how, believe me if I can do it ANYONE can do it.



This isn't all I canned, I'm not sure why this is all that is pictured.

This picture is my second Molly moment ever. In October our friends who we love dearly were in a situation where they needed meals. Now, I have taken meals to people before, easy right? But, this was for 20 + people. I can cook, but I don't like to so this was definitely a meal that came from love. 3 homemade lasagnas and the rest was definitely not something I thought I could pull off. Thanks to my husband keeping the kids busy for a day and a half this was the end result. I am so glad I was able to do this for them in their time of need and I also proved to myself that there are things I can do even when it is not really my talent.

3 comments:

Mark & Katherine said...

That is great. You are so Molly.

Tera said...

Well done Molly!!!

Canuck said...

I'm sure you have had many more Molly moments that you don't give yourself credit for. Good for you. And from a post further down, the temple in Arizona is stunning; thank you for sharing your photos.

Susie