Listen to ahansen6s playlist

Sunday, September 6, 2009

911-What is your Emergency?


Yes, that's right, the fire truck has now responded to our house twice in the last few months. If you don't know about the first time it was when our laundry room flooded and Trent could not come home. He was worried about the safety of the ceiling so he called 911. Let's just say that was embarrassing.

So last night the boys and I were having a pizza, movie, ice cream night. We were watching Wizards of Waverly Place-The Movie and I was doing dishes. All of a sudden there was a CRASH and a screaming little baby in my living room. He had pulled over the darn TV tray on top of himself. Now normally I would just scoop him up, console him and send him on his way. However, the top slammed right into his head and immediately there was a goose egg in between his eyes. I am very freaked out by head injuries and especially for a one year old. I held him for a little while and I just started getting worried. Trent was in Texas at the BYU football game and did not have his phone at the game with him. I told the boys let's get in the car, we are going to the hospital. I then realized that I had no idea where the hospital was out here because we go to the hospital in Riverside. So I called 911 and told the lady what had happened and told her that I needed directions to the nearest hospital. She started telling me where it was and she could tell I was pretty shaken up and asked me if she could just send the paramedics to check him out since he was so little. To be honest with you that ended up being the best thing because spending hours in an Emergency Room waiting room with 3 little children at 8:00 at night by myself did not sound like a very good situation. So she sent the paramedics out and they came sirens screaming to my house and checked him out. They told me that he looked ok and that I needed to watch for seizing, throwing up and if he would have blacked out immediately that would have obviously been bad. They talked to me for a little while and told me that they didn't think he needed to go to the ER and that the front part of the head is the hardest so it was a good spot for him to hit. As they were leaving I told the boys to go stand by the firetruck and they told me to get in the picture. I told them I bet you don't take a lot of pictures at the houses you respond to and they laughed. I don't know why the picture turned out so bad, but you get the idea.

I thought his head would look way worse than this today, hopefully it won't be worse tomorrow.

5 comments:

Tera said...

That's funny. So glad he is okay. You had better just put that number on speed dial!!

Canuck said...

I'm glad to see he's all right! That must have been so scary for you.

Deb said...

Oh Amber. My heart hurts a little for ya. That must have been scary! I'm like you, head injuries [and any injury involving open wounds with blood] freak me out! So glad sweet Cael is ok. And glad you didn't have to go to the ER!! That, as all Moms know, is not fun at all. Even worse with extra kids in tow, and no husband for help! Hang in there!

Dana & Genni Bain said...

:(poor kid!
He is one huh? I was thinking about the other day and realized his birthday is coming up...so happy birthday to cael. how are you doing?

TammeNBen said...

Glad he was ok. I hate hate when my kids get hurt...I feel so helpless and useless.

I can't believe Trent was here for the BYU game and didn't call us. I am hurt. Ben was at the game too.