Just a few random thoughts...
I have to say a few words on this day. It always sneaks up on me and feels like it was yesterday. I was driving to work that morning listening to the radio and the guys on the radio were announcing that the United States was under attack. I remember being so sad and emotional about it at the time and watching coverage on the anniversaries is no different. I remember being in our morning meeting at work that day and there was a supervisor there that I didn't really care for. There was a situation going on with one of our residents (I was a Chemical Dependency Counselor for teens in a residential treatment facility at the time) and I already felt strongly about the situation with him and disagreed with the supervisor. So already being emotional about that situation and then hearing the news from New York I was a wreck. I remember being told by that supervisor that I was just being to emotional about everything (in front of the whole staff) and that I needed to pull it together. I remember wondering if this guy was a robot. I thought, man, if you can't be emotional about something like this what can you be emotional about? I completely agree with being professional, but on that day it was just too much to handle.
I always feel very sad and teary for the people that died and especially for their families. I can't imagine being one of the people that lost their loved one in something so tragic. I realize that tragedy strikes every day. There are accidents and deaths every day, but this is something so different. I am a person that takes tragic things that happen to other people really hard. I try not to, but I guess it's just in my personality. I worry about the family members, I quietly mourn for the people it happened to and think about things like this a lot. Compared to other bad things that happen, this tragedy was magnified by hundreds for me. I wish I wasn't like that, but unfortunately I carry around a lot of these situations in my daily thinking.
I have often wondered if the feelings we have about 9/11 are similar to what our grandparents felt when Pearl Harbor occurred. Such great tragedies out of such foolish and hateful thinking.
I watch the memorials every year on the "anniversary" (I hate calling it that because this word should have a happy meaning) and hope that others are doing the same and thinking of the people that had their lives forever changed.
I have to say a few words on this day. It always sneaks up on me and feels like it was yesterday. I was driving to work that morning listening to the radio and the guys on the radio were announcing that the United States was under attack. I remember being so sad and emotional about it at the time and watching coverage on the anniversaries is no different. I remember being in our morning meeting at work that day and there was a supervisor there that I didn't really care for. There was a situation going on with one of our residents (I was a Chemical Dependency Counselor for teens in a residential treatment facility at the time) and I already felt strongly about the situation with him and disagreed with the supervisor. So already being emotional about that situation and then hearing the news from New York I was a wreck. I remember being told by that supervisor that I was just being to emotional about everything (in front of the whole staff) and that I needed to pull it together. I remember wondering if this guy was a robot. I thought, man, if you can't be emotional about something like this what can you be emotional about? I completely agree with being professional, but on that day it was just too much to handle.
I always feel very sad and teary for the people that died and especially for their families. I can't imagine being one of the people that lost their loved one in something so tragic. I realize that tragedy strikes every day. There are accidents and deaths every day, but this is something so different. I am a person that takes tragic things that happen to other people really hard. I try not to, but I guess it's just in my personality. I worry about the family members, I quietly mourn for the people it happened to and think about things like this a lot. Compared to other bad things that happen, this tragedy was magnified by hundreds for me. I wish I wasn't like that, but unfortunately I carry around a lot of these situations in my daily thinking.
I have often wondered if the feelings we have about 9/11 are similar to what our grandparents felt when Pearl Harbor occurred. Such great tragedies out of such foolish and hateful thinking.
I watch the memorials every year on the "anniversary" (I hate calling it that because this word should have a happy meaning) and hope that others are doing the same and thinking of the people that had their lives forever changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment