Well, there was a little excitement at the Hansen home tonight. At about 6:40 p.m. tonight there was a knock on the front door. I went to open it a little annoyed because we were not expecting anyone and we were eating a late dinner. I looked out the peep hole and there was no one there. So I watched for a minute and a police officer came back up the walkway. I opened the door hesitantly because I have heard on the news of people dressing up like officers and then coming in and robbing homes. I opened the door a little way and he asked me if everything was alright here because they had been dispatched out on an alarm call. I turned to face the kitchen to ask Trent if he had turned off the alarm when it had gone off earlier and he was outside the back door with his arms up being searched by another officer!! Apparantly when I had gone to the front door to answer, the partner had gone around back and was looking in our windows with his gun drawn!! He had motioned Trent outside and told him hands up and I don't know what else he said. Oh, he asked Trent if anyone else was here and he said no. Then when the officer saw Tyler he said I thought you said there wasn't anyone else here. Trent said well yeah, my family is here. The officer told him, that would have been nice to know. So I let the officer at the front door in and his partner came in with Trent and apologized. They said that our silent alarm had been going off for the last 40 minutes. They checked my ID and gave the kids stickers and left. Trent was angry at this point because the guy had drawn his gun on him. I told him that he had to protect himself because they never know what they are walking into. Trent said I was sitting here with my kids eating a taco, it was just some rookie cop. He then said, "Did the guy at the front door draw his gun on you?" I said, well no, I'm just a little girl.
After they left we called the alarm company and they said that they had called at 6:01 p.m. to check on us and when we didn't answer they disbatched police. So we think what happened was that when Trent opened the garage door he had the key fab in his hand. He was carrying a door that he was bringing in for the little space he opened up under the stairs. (More on that later.) He had turned it off and went about his business. He did not enter in our code and turn it off which in turn must have continued to send a distress signal to the company. So 40 minutes later the police showed up. We are glad that they came, but I told Trent, we could have been dead by then!! My ever sensitive husband turned to me and said, "No, they usually would tie you up and ransack the house, you probably wouldn't be dead that fast."
6 comments:
Ok, this is really scary! I would be really mad too if I were Trent! I cannot believe they would draw a gun! I mean, c'mon, Trent hardly looks like a criminal. But, like you said, at least you know they would come (eventually) if the silent alarm is going off!
How scary is that! I'm glad that everything turned out ok.
Unbelievable. I am glad all of you are okay. That's gotta be frustrating and scary. Glad you have an alarm system. I will take your weather in a heartbeat, but I'm glad I don't have that.
My husband would be ticked too. He would have said almost those same exact things. Too funny!
Being the wife of a cop, I want to give that cop a high five! You have to look at it from their perspective. Just because somebody "looks" like a nice guy means nothing. I sure hope Darryl would do that same thing coming on a stranger in a house where a silent alarm was going off for that long!! Wouldn't you want them to do that to someone actually robbing your house?? That's my 2 cents. :)
k so scary! that was my first thought too you'd be dead in 40 min or in another location! and yeah I can't believe they would draw a gun on Trent too...crazy! But then again, I can see the copper's side too. seems like there should be an additional way to verify that you are really in trouble.
Post a Comment