June Rewind
Ephrata, Washington
Ephrata, Washington
The boys and I spent most of June in Ephrata, Washington. I usually go for about a week, but this time was different. My brother was coming back from his two-year mission in Brazil and a few weeks later my friend Jennifer from High School was getting married. We figured that there was no point in me coming home and then going again in such a short time. We did a lot of visiting and fun things and even though 3 weeks away seems like a long time, in the end it really wasn't at all.
The plane ride. Ontario, California to Seattle Washington 2 hours 30 minutes
Car ride with 3 tired little kids-3 hours
Sage and Sun Parade
This is the annual BIG weekend in the tiny little town of Ephrata where I grew up. Everyone in town attends the parade and all the festivities. This was my first time home for the parade in 14 years. Turn your speakers up and listen to the song, this is truly what my hometown is like. Trent too grew up like I did. I think this is one very important thing in our relationship, we understand exactly how the other grew up. No, we were not down at the "greenlight tavern" drinking beer like in the song, BUT everyone else was. I was laughing at most of the things in the parade. I am sure there are little festivities like this everywhere, but I have never in my life seen anything like this except in good ol' Ephrata.
Below: Elementary School kids playing recorders
Past Royalty-This year was 100 years of the festival
(I think that is the year count)
so they asked all past royalty to return
my husband found out this little tidbit of information AFTER we were married
I was told that could have been a deal breaker. Good thing he found out
after the vows were spoken :)
there are races every Saturday night of the summer. It is pretty LOUD.
You can hear them all through town.
Something to do I guess.
Shannon I knew Vanessa thought my brothers were cute.
You will see the first closest further down.
I would have asked him to get me one like this too. He also got one of
Joseph in the grove for himself. I didn't get this picture, but I got one that is beautiful of course.
older than me who owns this Pizza Place. He has always been kind enough to
keep them employed there. When Brock came home from his mission he made
a big roast dinner there for our family and any friends we wanted to invite. It was
so nice of him and his family to do this for us. When Breck came home he was out of
town and he had employees who are also friends go down and make the dinner.
It was on a Sunday afternoon so this is such a nice gesture.
Enrichment-Self Sufficient Living Dutch Oven Dinner
I taught a little couponing class that night.
Visiting my friend Amy in Kennewick, Washington. I met Amy in the singles
ward when I was in Community College. She turned out to be the BEST roommate I
ever had!! She married her wonderful husband Kevin shortly after we lived together
and they were kind enough to let me live with them the first summer they were married for free!! Amy is a Scentsy consultant and I picked up some wonderful scents from her
on this visit. If you need any Scentsy products let me know and I can put you in touch!
growing up, but lost her when I was in the eight grade. I have never really had any
grandparents and when I married Trent 9 years ago Grammy and Grandpa Taylor took
me in as their own granddaughter. We have spent several Thanksgivings and other fun times
with them over the years. A year and a half ago I got the call that Grammy had fallen in
the shower because she was having a stroke. I remember this was probably the worst day
of my life. I have only lost one person in my life and we were prepared for my Grandmother's death from a brain tumor. The thought of losing Grammy so suddenly was really more than I could take. She was given a medicine to break up the blood clot in her brain and was stablilized that day. She went from being our active, vibrant Grammy to a woman who cannot do much on her own. It is VERY, VERY devestating to all of us who know and love her. It just doesn't seem fair that this has happened to her. She spent several months in a rehabilitation facility. She swears over and over that Trent worked there and that he was a night staff that came in to visit her in the nighttime. We have tried countless times to tell her that he was in California working as a Vice Principal, but we have given up because we realize that this was her comfort in that facility where she knew no one and could all of a sudden do nothing. We think that there was a man who looked a lot like Trent and was built like him that worked with her. Whatever the situation it is so neat to know that thinking Trent was there was her comfort through the most difficult time in her life. They have always had a special connection and I am so grateful for that. So the boys and I went to visit her at her new place which is about 2 minutes from the Columbia River Temple. The boys of course lasted about 5 minutes as you can see from the pictures. They don't really know Grammy which makes me VERY sad. Trent's aunt Kaylynn was kind enough to take them to her house for the day where they swam and played with the cousin's all day. Such a fun time for them. I stayed at the facility all day with Cael and visited with Grammy. We went to lunch with her and let me tell you, if you ever want ALL eyes in the room on you just take a baby to lunch at an assisted living facility!! Everyone in the room had their attention focused on Cael the ENTIRE time. When lunch was almost over one lady came over with her walker and said, "we at table 12 have taken a vote and we think you need to take that baby around to all of the tables and introduce him." So I did. And all of those people were just smitten with him. They loved seeing a little baby. After lunch we went into Grammy's room and she asked me to read to her from her journal while she rested. I started in October 1996. (I think that was the year, I should ask Trent.) Anyway, when we got to December she was talking about Christmas she strayed a little and mentioned that she was worried about Trent because mission did not seem like it was in his future and explained how he was going to school and everything else he was doing. I just wanted to keep reading that journal until the end!! Trent's mom died when he was 13 so that is where the written stories end. To have this journal that she has written about the boys would be so exciting!! To know things about Trent from when he was younger would be so fun!! Anyway, we read until about March of the next year and we talked a little. Grammy has lost her short term memory and since the stroke it has been difficult because when you have conversations with her you often repeat several subjects in one sitting. During the 8 hours I was there this did not happen once!! The next week when I talked to Kaylynn she said that Grammy had such a great week after we left and all she could talk about was our visit. I was so glad to see her and it was so fun to visit this lady that I love and admire SO much!! I felt terrible to leave her in this place and just don't feel like it is right. There is nothing else that can be done because Grandpa cannot physically take care of her, but leaving her there is one of the hardest things I have EVER had to do!! We love and miss our Grammy!!
Logan, Kaylynn and Natalie
She really treats this thing like a child, it's embarrassing.
A visit to Chad and Brie's house in Moses Lake, Washington. This was such a fun day. Trent was friends with Chad growing up. He then spent 3 weeks on their couch while trying to find an apartment at Eastern. When we met we went on a few double dates with them. I became friends with both Chad and Brie. Chad is a fellow counselor so really good to talk to about his job. Brie is just a wonderful friend, wife and mother and a good role model. Their children are exactly the same ages (within months) as ours, except poor Halle. So it was extremely fun for the boys.
My childhood friend Jenn's wedding. Priscilla and Jenn have been best friends for years so she was in the wedding party. They both looked so pretty!
I know, I am the MEANEST mom!! But, Katherine says it would have been
easier to have another baby than to have their dog!!
4 comments:
I think that was the longest post I have ever read!! But I loved every second of it!! I am glad I got to be IN the post, too. I miss you so much and was so glad we were able to visit.
That is what I said. We should have just had a baby.
So we were very close to eachother a few times. I drove right past you and you flew in close to me! Glad you had fun, Washington is so great!
Looks like you guys had SO much fun! And yes having a dog is worse than a baby...HOWEVER Dylan and Samantha take care of the dogs everything! So really its not that bad. I do very little. And have your bro come to Cali and set him up with Vanessa...she could use some fun! (:
Post a Comment